Saturday, June 30, 2018

CHUCKY, BROTHER BILL, AND TOMMY SEGAL ON 51ST CHICAGO c1952 - A JOHN CHUCKMAN IMAGE

CHUCKY BILL AND TOMMY SEGAL ON 51 ST CHICAGO c1952

Tommy was my friend from Switzerland, and he doesn't have an ice cream cone because this picture was taken when we met him coming from the other direction.

Mrs. Beau, the memorable woman whose house is behind, was very kind to me as a boy. She used to have me and my friend Georgeann come every few weeks to wash her windows. She paid us and set out a wonderful lunch on a little patio table in the backyard, a delightful thing for a kid who lived in a very small apartment.  We also were able often to spend time with her grown-up children's games and toys stored in the basement. What was remarkable was the way we met. Georgeann and I were climbing garage roofs in the ally, something we called an "adventure" and often did. Well, we peeked down from one into Mrs. Beau's yard one day, and there she was, gardening, and instead of being upset with our climbing, she invited us down.

I will never forget her kindness.